Graduate Student Checklist
Welcome to GW! As you begin your program, feel free to use our helpful checklist to make sure you're in good financial and administrative standing with GW.
- Check in with your department and school about orientation or new student sessions.
- Claim your GW NetID to setup your GW email.
- Register for your courses.
- Calculate your cost of attendance, which is the most that you would be able to borrow in additional loan programs to cover your tuition and fees, room and board, transportation, books and supplies, and personal expenses.
- Submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- Apply for a Federal Graduate PLUS Loan or Private Alternative Loan to cover additional charges or expenses and then submit GW’s Supplemental Graduate Loan Questionnaire for the correct aid year
- If you have an organization paying your bill (such as an embassy or employer), submit your sponsor authorization to Third-Party Billing.
- Make arrangements for your bill to be paid in full by the first day of the semester, or sign up for the Monthly Payment Plan.
- Enter your bank account information in Student Account eBill to make electronic payments and receive your direct deposit credit refund automatically.
- Update your current address in GWeb.
- If you received a tuition award, check with your department to find out when it might be applied to your student account.
- Request your parking permit for the semester or year.
- Visit the Office of Graduate Student Assistantships & Fellowships for potential funding opportunities.
- Review the withdrawal and refund policy.
- Explore the option of purchasing tuition insurance to protect your tuition investment.
- Be sure to check for financial and registration holds prior to your designated time to register each semester.
- At the beginning of the semester in which you plan to graduate, be sure to submit your Application for Graduation online by the appropriate deadline.
Still have questions? Don't understand the process? Can't find what you're looking for? We're happy to help -- just let us know!